PARTY QUEEN / Aug 25, 2021
HOW TO ROCK BLACK HOMECOMING DRESSESHomecoming will be here before you know it, which means it’s time to start searching for the perfect dress. Silhouettes, necklines, colors—where do you begin?! Today we’re making a case for black homecoming dresses. Black is a color that’s powerful, elegant, and sexy. But on a day like homecoming, some may worry that it’s a bit safe and—we’ll just come out and say it—boring. If you’re gravitating towards a black homecoming dress, but still want to make a statement, you’ve come to the right place. Here are four ways to spice it up!
1. Pump up the volumeBelieve it or not, you could wear an all-black outfit and still turn heads. One way to do that is by picking a dress with an eye-catching, voluminous silhouette. For example, you could choose a dress with dramatic puff sleeves or ones that drape off the shoulder. Or, you could opt for a fit-and-flare silhouette, which is when a dress has a tight bodice but flares at the waist. To take this silhouette to the next level, go for a full ballerina-like skirt. (FYI—tulle is a great material for adding volume.) If you go this route, we recommend taking advantage of this flattering silhouette and accentuating the waistline with a thin belt—embrace those curves, ladies!
Get the look: Sleeveless Short Dress with Lace Bodice and Sheer Waistline
2. Embrace different texturesNow, if you want to rock an all-black homecoming outfit, but want to go for a body-hugging silhouette, then we recommend choosing a dress with some texture. Texture comes in many forms. You could rock a dress with black beads, sequins, glitter, jewels, mesh, embroidery—you name it! If you see a dress that mixes textures and fabric, try it on! Since you’re going for a monochromatic ensemble, this is the perfect way to add some spice. Want some hair and makeup inspo? Pull your hair up and add a smokey eye and you’ve got yourself one fierce look.
Get the look: One Shoulder Sequin Bodycon Short Dress
3. Add gold or silver sparkleNothing goes better with black than silver and gold. It’s a match made in fashion heaven. You have many opportunities to incorporate these precious metals in your black homecoming look. First, you could rock some chic gold or silver jewelry. If your homecoming dress has a low-cut neckline, such as a sweetheart neckline, show off a statement necklace. If your neckline is higher, we recommend pulling your hair up, away from your face, and donning some dramatic shoulder-grazing earrings. If you’re really looking to dial up the glam, we encourage you to wear a sparkly headpiece! (When else can you wear one?!) You’ll also find many black homecoming dresses with gold or silver embellishments—sequins, embroidery, jewels, etc. We love seeing dresses that showcase intricate designs. This kind of dress deserves all the attention—so we recommend keeping your hair and makeup simple. A loosely curled half-do, paired with some mascara and lip gloss, is all you need!
Get the look: Sweethearted A-line Tulle Short Dress with Corset Back
4. Add a pop of colorIf you really want to stand out in a black homecoming dress, then you have to add a pop of color! That will really attract the gaze. You could add some color to the dress itself. For example, a bright belt would be a great way to break up an all-black look, while creating an hourglass shape. (We love multi-purpose accessories!) Or, you could bring a bright-colored purse. Red, blue, pink, or purple would be a great choice. Because homecoming dresses are short, your shoes will be front and center. Why not choose a bold shoe? To truly capture this look, we recommend sticking to one color—otherwise, it will become too distracting. The goal is to compliment the dress, not overcome it.
5. Wear a two-piece dressAnother way to break up an all-black outfit is by literally breaking it up into a two-piece dress. By showing a little bit of skin at the waistline, you break up the color but also accentuate the waistline—just like what a belt does. A black two-piece homecoming dress is both classic and edgy—perfect for those with bold personalities. You’ll be standing out for all the right reasons. Feel free to build on this unique look and add some statement earrings or bracelets. Now that’s how you rock a black homecoming dress!
Get the look: Two-Piece Strap-Back Tulle Short Dress
Looking for more homecoming dress inspo?
Check out these related blog posts: