BRIDAL GURU / Aug 04, 2021
THE ANATOMY OF GWEN STEFANI'S WEDDING DRESS
Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton wedding photos courtesy of Jeremy Bustos/People.com
On July 3, 2021, Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton got hitched. Weeks later, there's something that everyone's still talking about: Gwen Stefani's wedding dress. (Well, technically wedding dresses, there were two! One for the ceremony, and one for the reception.) Both were custom-made by none other than Vera Wang—a designer known for her unique wedding gowns. And she managed to capture Gwen's bold personality right to a tee.
If you're an edgy bride-to-be, you've come to the right place. Gwen Stefani's two wedding outfits are the perfect inspo for your wedding day look. Get your notepad ready, and let's get started!
Gwen Stefani’s Wedding Dress for the Ceremony
Gwen Stefani's wedding dress for the ceremony was a custom lily-white silk georgette gown. (Georgette is a type of crêpe fabric typically made from pure silk but can also be made from synthetic fibers like rayon, viscose, and polyester.) It's sheer, lightweight, and has a dull, matte finish. And let me just say, it drapes beautifully.
The gown featured a fitted bodice with a cut-away back, plunging sweetheart neckline, and a high-low hand tumbled tulle skirt.
Here's where Gwen Stefani really personalizes her look: her veil.
For the ceremony, she donned a white chapel-length veil, which featured the hand-embroidered names of Stefani, Shelton, and her three sons. Because her hair was under the veil, she kept it simple with a sleek bun.
How can you recreate this look?
- Sweetheart necklines are all the rage right now. We love this neckline because it's so effective at elongating the neck. It can be paired with sleeves, straps, or without, but if you want to score Gwen Stefani's wedding dress look, we recommend going strapless. (Bonus points: exposed shoulders also help create an hourglass figure.)
- A fitted bodice—paired with a free-flowing skirt—is a common silhouette for wedding dresses and super flattering on most body shapes because it cinches the waist. Don't hesitate to get it tailored so you can get the perfect fit!
- Long veils are available (and customizable)—you just need to ask! For Gwen's look, rock a veil with some beautiful embroidery and keep your hair sleek and simple.
Gwen Stefani’s Wedding Dress for the Reception
Gwen Stefani's wedding dress for the reception was again made of lily-white silk crepe. But this time, it's a strapless sweetheart minidress. You'll see that Vera Wang cranked up the heat with this one!
It starts with a corset-like bustier bodice, which creates a fun, sexy vibe. As Gwen Stefani describes her look on Instagram: "You need a party dress when u get to marry Blake Shelton."
The tumbled tulle skirt is short, ruffled, and features floral embroidery around the waist of the dress. Wang's team also hand-sewed two love birds on the dress to symbolize the couple. For this look, Gwen's veil is shorter, adorned with floral appliqués and a white bow.
Stefani's edgy personality shines through with her footwear choice (which she wore with both wedding dresses): a pair of white sky-high stiletto cowboy boots by Le Silla. She came prepared to dance the night away with Shelton—that's for sure!
Gwen accessorized with gold bangle bracelets, sparkling earrings, and a cross necklace to complete her unique wedding reception look.
How can you recreate this look?
- Corset bodices are a hot bridal trend right now. If you're looking to stray from tradition, keep an eye out for corset bodices. Oftentimes, you can find ones with beautiful embroidery—both sexy and feminine!
- Bold footwear is another way to stand out from other brides. If you think plain white pumps are boring, we encourage you to go for something that better reflects your style—especially if your dress is a short length. Anything goes—perhaps you go for something bedazzled or a completely different color. Show them off (and your legs)!
- Add meaningful accessories. Maybe you won't spend extra cash on getting custom hand-sewn embroidery. Still, we encourage you to take a page out of Gwen's book and personalize your wedding look—whether it's a favorite piece of jewelry or a family heirloom.
Editor’s Pick: Beads Embellished Sheer Bodice Mesh Wedding Gown
Looking for more wedding dress inspo?
There's endless information on wedding dresses out there—so we've saved you some of the work by including more articles right here for you!
- There's another recent bride whose wedding dress caught a lot of attention. Here's how you can score Meghan Markle's royal look.
- Not a traditional gal? We can get behind that! Check out this article on alternative wedding dresses for rockstar brides.
- Having an intimate backyard wedding? Here are five wedding dress styles perfect for this low-key vibe!